May 15, 16, 17, 2018
The countdown is on until Ricky Tims comes to our Guild! Have you taken a look at the subjects offered in his two days of Master Classes? Are you going to join us for one or two days of creative learning?
Day A lectures will take place on Tuesday, May 15 and repeated again on Thursday, May 17. Day B lectures will take place on Wednesday, May 16.
Only Guild members will have the first opportunity to buy tickets for the Ricky Tims event at the January meeting. You can pay by cash or cheque for your choice of one or two days of Ricky Tims’ Master Classes. Tickets are $110.00 per day. This fee will offer you a jam-packed day, learning from Ricky with a full-coloured book with printed notes for the day.
Each member may purchase one ticket per day for two of the days only. If you would like additional tickets for a non-member you must wait for ticket purchases to open for non-members.
Committee members will be available at 6:45 pm at the January meeting as well as during the break for you to purchase your ticket(s).
For those guild members not able to join us at the January meeting, we have two options.
Option 1: If possible, please send your payment along with a fellow guild member to the meeting.
Option 2: Email the committee at: email@example.com. Include your name and the days you would like to attend. Tuesday and Thursday have the same content. It will be necessary for you to send payment as soon as possible. (Directions will be provided in a return email acknowledging your request for tickets).
Please understand that after February 16, 2018, available tickets will be released to non-guild members on a first come, first served basis.
It will not be possible to save unpaid seats for guild members after February 16, 2018.
Looking forward to a great time with Ricky Tims.
Day A Lectures
- Quilting Caveman Style aka Improvisational Patchwork – Learn the tips and tricks that allow you to quilt without the use of templates, measuring, or quarter-inch seams. We will break some rules, but won’t sacrifice workmanship!
- Convergence Quilts – These quick, easy, and fun strip-cut quilts offer such a variety of options that they can be used for anything from art quilts to utility quilts. Be prepared to become addicted.
- Primitive Patchwork – This quilt project (and method) was derived from an antique Amish quilt. It is freeing to make, but rooted in tradition. The process is unorthodox, but the results are dynamic. The project is also great to do with a youngster in your life.
- The Elusive Muse – In this motivational section, Ricky shares insights into the creative mind and delves into the obstacles that creative individuals face. He also shares wisdom on how to find and embrace the muse of creativity.
- Design Secrets – Learn to design from what you know – not from the unknown. The journey to being original is easier than you think. Whether you are an art quilter or a traditional quilter, these principles will boost your ability to create original designs.
- Rhapsody Quilts – Ricky’s powerful and eye-catching Rhapsody quilts always seem so difficult. Not only will you learn to design your own, but you will be amazed that the precision techniques are easier than most traditional quilts.
- Enhanced Outline Appliqué – Ricky is famous for using the elegant single and double-blanket stitches for his award-winning quilts. The technique is more forgiving than most other appliqué methods and the outline adds an extra embellished dimension to the work.
Day B Lectures
- The Music In My Quilt – The elements of art and principles of design are presented by showing the parallel components of compositional devices used in Music. This insightful and unique presentation is like a university crash course for Art 101.
- Color Concepts – Many quilters work intuitively with color, but color theory is one of the aspects that seems scary. Ricky shares the basics of color theory and will dispel the idea that the primary colors are red, blue, and yellow.
- Fabric Dyeing – Creating fabric may seem fanciful and for the few, but any quilter has the ability to create their own beautiful and unique fabric by learning the basics of fabric dyeing using procion fiber reactive dyes.
- Northern Lights – Ricky shares a concept of using his (or your) hand-dyed fabrics in unusual but logical ways. As with all of his methods – “easy” is a requirement.
- Kool Kaleidoscope – This advanced-beginner quilt looks so complicated but is so simple that you’ll want to make two or three!
- Setting in Corners and Circles – Sometimes a typical pieced corner just doesn’t work. Ricky’s method will fuel your imagination and when you see his machine-pieced circles you’ll put your appliqué needle down.
- The Elusive Muse – Part Two – This additional motivational wrap up to the lectures is targeted to the heart. We all know that quilting is more than making a quilt and Ricky’s desire to empower quilters to be true and passionate is evident in this concluding message.