Ricky Tims comes to Newmarket Ontario!
May 15 to 17 the Region of York Quilters Guild is hosting three days of Master Classes by the best-selling author, enthusiastic and encouraging teacher, award-winning quilter, fabric designer, and talented and spell-binding speaker, Ricky Tims! This is your chance to get all the tips and tricks for creating Ricky’s quilts that only Ricky can provide. This will be his only Canadian stop in 2018 – right here in Newmarket! Take a look at the subjects offered in his two days of Master Classes. Are you going to join us for one or two days of creative learning?
Day A lectures will take place on Tuesday, May 15 and repeated again on Thursday, May 17.
Day B lectures will take place on Wednesday, May 16.
Each day starts at 9 am and goes to 3:30 pm. (There will be time for lunch of course!) Ricky does not disappoint with entertaining, jam-packed learning. Also included is a full-coloured book with printed notes and photographs for each day.
These great sessions will be held at The Old Town Hall, 460 Botsford Street, Newmarket, L3Y 1T1
Tickets are $110 per day. Please email email@example.com to order your tickets. Please provide the name(s) of each attendee, the dates you wish to attend and a phone number for each participant (ideally please provide a cell number). Once we receive your email, you will be provided with information for payment options at that time.
For more information about Ricky visit: www.rickytims.com.
To all those coming from out of town, consider staying in one of the local hotels. (see below)
Day A Lectures
- Quilting Caveman Style aka Improvisational Patchwork – Learn the tips and tricks that allow you to quilt without the use of templates, measuring, or quarter-inch seams. We will break some rules, but won’t sacrifice workmanship!
- Convergence Quilts – These quick, easy, and fun strip-cut quilts offer such a variety of options that they can be used for anything from art quilts to utility quilts. Be prepared to become addicted.
- Primitive Patchwork – This quilt project (and method) was derived from an antique Amish quilt. It is freeing to make, but rooted in tradition. The process is unorthodox, but the results are dynamic. The project is also great to do with a youngster in your life.
- The Elusive Muse – In this motivational section, Ricky shares insights into the creative mind and delves into the obstacles that creative individuals face. He also shares wisdom on how to find and embrace the muse of creativity.
- Design Secrets – Learn to design from what you know – not from the unknown. The journey to being original is easier than you think. Whether you are an art quilter or a traditional quilter, these principles will boost your ability to create original designs.
- Rhapsody Quilts – Ricky’s powerful and eye-catching Rhapsody quilts always seem so difficult. Not only will you learn to design your own, but you will be amazed that the precision techniques are easier than most traditional quilts.
- Enhanced Outline Appliqué – Ricky is famous for using the elegant single and double-blanket stitches for his award-winning quilts. The technique is more forgiving than most other appliqué methods and the outline adds an extra embellished dimension to the work.
Day B Lectures
- The Music In My Quilt – The elements of art and principles of design are presented by showing the parallel components of compositional devices used in Music. This insightful and unique presentation is like a university crash course for Art 101.
- Color Concepts – Many quilters work intuitively with color, but color theory is one of the aspects that seems scary. Ricky shares the basics of color theory and will dispel the idea that the primary colors are red, blue, and yellow.
- Fabric Dyeing – Creating fabric may seem fanciful and for the few, but any quilter has the ability to create their own beautiful and unique fabric by learning the basics of fabric dyeing using procion fiber reactive dyes.
- Northern Lights – Ricky shares a concept of using his (or your) hand-dyed fabrics in unusual but logical ways. As with all of his methods – “easy” is a requirement.
- Kool Kaleidoscope – This advanced-beginner quilt looks so complicated but is so simple that you’ll want to make two or three!
- Setting in Corners and Circles – Sometimes a typical pieced corner just doesn’t work. Ricky’s method will fuel your imagination and when you see his machine-pieced circles you’ll put your appliqué needle down.
- The Elusive Muse – Part Two – This additional motivational wrap up to the lectures is targeted to the heart. We all know that quilting is more than making a quilt and Ricky’s desire to empower quilters to be true and passionate is evident in this concluding message.
1230 Journey’s End Circle
Call the hotel directly and use ‘Ricky Tims’ to receive the discount.
Rate : $99.99 plus tax
This rate includes free parking, free Internet and free breakfast.
(The regular rate for comparison is $119.99 -$149.99 depending on the season.)
The rate for “Ricky Tims” will be available all year for your guests.
17565 Yonge Street
Use “Ricky Tims Quilts” to receive the discount (booking must be done before April 15)
Rate: $115.00 plus tax
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
100 Pony Drive
Reservations: 905 853-1030
Ricky Tims Hotel Group Code: RTC
All rooms are equipped with HSIA, fridge & microwave, 42” LCD TV.
Hot Buffet Breakfast included.
There is an indoor pool, whirlpool, and Business Centre.
Rates based on single/quad occupancy per night, taxes extra:
o 1 King Bed Deluxe $129.99
o 1 King Bed Executive with Pull-Out $129.99
o 2 Queen Beds Deluxe $129.99
o 1 King Bed + Separate Living Room Junior Suite $154.99
o 2 Queen Beds + Separate Living Room Junior Suite $164.99